Behind the Jeu de Paume are the rooftops of the buildings on the rue de Rivoli.
Jeu de Paume, Tuileries, Paris 2009, looking north over the Jeu de Paume
© Leslie Hossack
The building in the foreground is the Galerie Nationale du Jeu de Paume, constructed in the Tuileries in 1861. It was once used as a tennis court, but today it houses contemporary art exhibitions.
Behind the Jeu de Paume are the rooftops of the arcaded buildings on north side of the rue de Rivoli. This fashionable street was opened along the edge of the gardens in 1801.
The dome of the Nôtre-Dame-de-l’Assomption can be seen in the background. This church was built between 1670 and 1676 at the corner of rue Saint-Honoré and rue Cambon. Now it is the Polish Church of Paris.